Car insurance

Highway in sunset.

About our car insurance

Why you need car insurance

Your car needs to be insured for the road, in accordance with the law. It must be insured from the day you purchase it. The previous owner's insurance is invalid.

Who does the insurance cover?

The insurance covers you as the owner and main driver of the vehicle. If your car is registered to another person, you may receive less compensation.

You must ensure you are covered by your policy

There are a number of exceptions and duties of care that you must know and abide by. This means that you have a responsibility to ensure you are fully covered by your policy. If you do not abide by them, your compensation payout may be lower. Read more about the duties of care in the terms and conditions.

Advance purchase information

Term and conditions (in Swedish)

Our car insurance is split into three levels

We offer three different levels of car insurance coverage: Motor third-party liability insurance, third-party, fire and theft and comprehensive insurance.

Motor third-party liability insurance

Motor third-party liability insurance is a legal requirement. Motor third-party liability insurance provides compensation for injury or damage which you cause to another person, vehicle or third party's property.

Third-party, fire and theft insurance

Motor third-party liability insurance is included in the third-party, fire and theft insurance. This policy also covers damage to your own car. It covers: fire damage, glass repair, damage resulting from theft, roadside assistance and recovery, legal expenses, breakdown, electronics, all risks, and crisis.

Comprehensive insurance

The comprehensive insurance includes both third-party liability insurance and third-party, fire and theft insurance. It also includes coverage for vehicle damage: damage to your own car in the event of a road traffic accident or other types of external accidents.

Important information about car insurance

You can find terms and conditions, advance purchase information and other information on our car insurance page.

About car insurance (in Swedish)

Rental vehicle with the MER supplementary insurance

The MER supplementary insurance gives you access to a rental vehicle when your car is being repaired. You also have a lower excess if you are the victim of vandalism or have had a collision with an animal.

About the MER supplementary insurance (in Swedish)

What is the Green Card?

To take your vehicle abroad, some countries require a Green Card. This is proof that you have motor third-party liability insurance in your home country.

If you do not have your Green Card with you, you may need to take out a motor third-party liability insurance policy at the customs station for the country you are to travel to. This is known as cross-border insurance.

Read more about the Green Card (in Swedish)

If something happens

Claims checklist

It is good to be prepared when submitting a damage claim. A claim should always contain:

  • Your car registration plate number.
  • Information about when the damage occurred.
  • Description of how the damage was caused.
  • Place where the accident/event took place.
  • Sketches of the accident/event.
  • Photos/sketches of the damage.
  • Your contact details.

It is important that the car is registered in your name for the insurance to cover the damage.


The excess is the part of the damage cost which you will need to pay when you have incurred damages. It is linked to different parts of your car insurance. The amount of excess you will need to pay in the event of damages is determined by the type of damage.